Diesel generators are truly versatile tools, used to provide power in industries across the board such as agriculture, construction, refrigeration, telecoms and even in the military. However, these safe and cheap tools can be just as useful for using in your home as well.
Diesel generators can work as the source of principal power supply, but in the home, they are most often used to generate backup power. Here, we’re going to look at why you might want to consider diesel generators for your home, their advantages, and disadvantages.
The Pros Of Diesel Generator
Homeowners tend to prefer diesel generators because of their reliability and longevity, and the relative inexpensiveness of buying them compared to other sources of backup power. But let’s take a closer look at some of the advantages:
· Fuel efficiency: This is one of the key determining factors in finding a good generator. Not all diesel generators have the same fuel efficiency, but they are broadly more efficient than gas-powered generators. This means you get more power per the amount of fuel you provide. This makes it a good source of a constant power supply as well as backup power.
· Cost-effectiveness: The efficiency of diesel plays a role in the low running costs of these generators, but that’s not the only factor that makes them cheaper. They tend to have a lower purchase price, and since they have fewer parts to replace regularly, like spark plugs, they also require less maintenance and part replacement costs than other generators. All generators require some maintenance, but diesel generators need less.
· Efficient: Diesel-powered generators tend to reach peak effectiveness much more quickly than others. This is thanks to their inbuilt cooling component that helps them efficiently handle the heat produced without a need for coolant, water pumps, radiators or temperature gauges.
· Versatility: The reason that diesel generators are used in different industries is that they apply to a broad range of uses. From providing power full-time to the house to working as a temporary backup, and powering a range of different types of machinery, it’s a versatile tool that can meet a whole variety of needs.
· Provided that you follow the maintenance instructions provided alongside the generator and have it regularly serviced by a licensed engineer, the diesel generator should last a lot longer than other types.
With lower costs, less regular maintenance needs, and a much more efficient source of fuel, diesel generators could be the source of backup power your home needs.
The Cons Of Diesel Generators
No product is without its disadvantages, however, including diesel generators. Here are some of the drawbacks you can expect if you install one.
· The installation process: Some studies have shown that diesel generators cost more and take more time to set up during the initial installation process. These costs can account for up to a quarter of the price of the relatively inexpensive generator.
· Noise: When operating, diesel-powered generators tend to be louder than those that use other fuel types. Some diesel generators come with a noise-insulating canopy, however, so you may be able to find one that doesn’t have as much of an issue with noise production.
· Repairs aren’t cheap: Although maintenance and repair are a less frequent concern with a diesel generator, after-sale services, and parts replacements can be expensive than other generators. Ensuring that you follow maintenance instructions and have the generator serviced regularly can help you cut some of those costs by preventing the need for maintenance.
· Not the cleanest fuel source: Diesel is not a clean source of energy, so if you’re trying to be energy efficient or eco-friendlier, it may not be the best solution for you.
Many customers find the initial cost of setup justified by the lower purchase and running costs of a generator, but if you’re looking for a quieter, cleaner generator, then you may want to look elsewhere.
Is It Time To Find Your Home’s Diesel Generator at EmPower Generators?
If you believe (as most customers do) that the benefits of a diesel generator for the home way outweighs the benefits, then what’s stopping you from buying one? Not all generators are the same, of course. At EmPower Generators, you can browse our store or call us at 954-922-3800. We’re happy to help you find the right diesel generator for your home, to install it for you, and continue to provide you with preferent customer service long after you have the generator installed.